Етиката и професионалната отговорност на строителните инженери – основата на общественото доверие
Code of Professional Conduct of the European Council of Civil Engineers
Кодекс за професионално поведение на Европейския съвет на строителните инженери
The purpose of Civil Engineering is to improve living conditions for mankind, always safeguarding life, health and property.
A Civil Engineer is a servant of society and a promoter of culture and quality of life.
A Civil Engineer must survey and analyse the demands of the present and anticipate future developments.
A Civil Engineer should treat this Code actively as a set of dynamic principles.
- The society
- will act with integrity and have full regard to the public interest;
- will have due regard for the Health and Safety of the public and other colleagues and employees;
- will endeavour to improve public knowledge of the benefits of Civil Engineering;
- will express professional opinion only when founded on adequate knowledge;
- will reject bribery in all forms;
- will seek opportunities to be of constructive service in civic affairs.
- The environment
- will understand the effect of his/her work on society and the natural environment;
- will further the aims of sustainable development and change;
- will be committed to improving the environment and enhancing the quality of life wherever possible;
- will recognise the interdependence of the planet’s ecosystems and their capacity to assimilate change due to Civil Engineering activity;
- will ensure the minimal adverse effects on the environment;
- will promote the use of renewable and recycled materials;
- will strive to accomplish his/her work with the lowest possible use of natural resources.
- The profession
- will uphold the standard of his profession and will co-operate in extending the effectiveness of the profession;
- will avoid all conduct likely to discredit or injure the dignity and honour of the profession;
- will endeavour to protect the profession from misrepresentation.
- The clients / employers
- will act as a faithful agent of his/her client/employer and with fairness and justice to all parties;
- will make clear to his/her client/employer upon appointment any interest or potential conflict of interest;
- will ensure the practices are not dangerous to life or property or if a risk exists ensure the client/employer and other parties are fully aware of the risks involved;
- will present clearly the consequences to his/her client/employer if his/her engineering judgement is overruled;
- will not disclose confidential information and business matters without the consent of his/her client/employer;
- will not accept commissions from third parties in connection with work he/she is undertaking for a client/employer;
- will disclose to his/her client/employer any interest in a business which may be in competition;
- will not accept commissions in areas where he/she is not competent to practice;
- will advise his/her client/employer when, as a result of study, he/she believes a project will be unsuccessful;
- will not accept professional work outside his/her regular employment without the knowledge of his/her employer.
- The other Civil Engineers
- will ensure credit for work is given to those to whom credit is due;
- will afford assistance to further the education, training and professional development of himself and other engineers and prospective members of the profession;
- will not injure the professional reputation, prospects or practice of another Engineer;
- will report the facts to the appropriate authority if he/she believes another Engineer is guilty or unethical or illegal practice.